return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

For Caracal

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Thu Jul 24 09:52:04 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

First, I love what your doing. Its working for you in a very good way, great job. That we do not agree on small details, does not make it about hating, or not believing etc. Its simply we do not agree on small details.
My approach is indeed foreign to what you guys do, it is and is going to be based on the animals, and my guide is hogs in the field. What you or you guys do is great, but not what I am interested in.
At this point, I am going to approach hogs in a retro way, In the early seventies, I made and used the first drawer cages for other colubrids. After keeping hogs now, I think I am going to go back to that. Only I will be using my naturalistic cages. There will be a set of drawers that mimic rack system keeping, and a nice cage For the hogs to surface in and crawl around. One drawer will be full cage nesting. I have one already built that's three foot long. I have recently make molds for a four footer, which is what I will end up using.
With the four footer, I hope to house several females and a male, Where each can use the cage or be separated out in the drawers. The tubes leading to each drawer can be capped, then each drawer becomes a rack type cage, if needed. The small one will be finished up in the next couple of months or weeks, depending on how much time I spend in the field(that comes first)
I am also tinkering with the idea of cooling the cages. So far, in my testing, hogs seem to be backwards from other colubrids. That is, most kings and such, you can keep them cool, and add a small area of heat and off they go. With hogs, it appears then need heat with a small area to cool. Got some research to do, but they use to make portable coolers, that used bi metal cooling. I could steal a unit and test it. I had one around here. Anyway, don't take It as I am against you, I am not. I just have my own path and more then double your experience. So its not very likely we agree on much. other then, you are doing well with your hogs. I also have no idea on why you think we all have to agree. That's weird if you ask me. My bet is, you do not agree with too many people on most things, and I am the same, so to think we would agree on this stuff is an odd illusion. You do understand, the world is not black and white, and there are more then fifty shades of grey.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: For Caracal - FR, Thu Jul 24 10:03:04 2014