return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Corn Snake . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
pool banner - $50 year

some newly hatched Hogs

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Paul Lynum at Sun Jul 27 22:14:02 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Paul Lynum ]  

I have one pair of hogs in my collection. I collected the male in 2009 and the female in 2011 from Santa Cruz Co., AZ. I like these animals due to their rarity in collections as most AZ Hogs come from Cochise Co., and the darker colors they present from this locality compared to others.

This year I put them together on 3/26 and did not observe any breeding behavior, I was fine with that and separated them. In the weeks following I noticed the female swelling and felt she did in fact breed. I treat my Hogs like most of my snakes which are kept in a 32qt sweater box in a rack with aspen as bedding. She shed on 5/24 and I put in a plastic shoe box with 4 inches of moist vermiculite. She immediately went to the bottom of the nest box and stayed there. On 5/31 she laid 12 good eggs

The eggs were incubated at 84 degrees. On 7/24 they started pipping.

Looks like a lll 12 were going to hatch.

I've only breed hogs once and those were Plains Hogs back in 1991. One thing I found unique is many of them were shedding as they were coming out of the egg which happened in 91 as well.

All 12 hatched and the ones that haven't shed are doing so now.

After a little break from herps this was very exciting to me and brought back feelings about herps I haven't had in awhile. I'm looking forward to my re-ignited interest again. Hope you guys like this post as I wanted to share my experiences.

Paul Lynum

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: some newly hatched Hogs - Austin12, Mon Jul 28 00:02:13 2014
>> Next Message:  RE: some newly hatched Hogs - Austin12, Mon Jul 28 01:42:59 2014
>> Next Message:  RE: some newly hatched Hogs - reako45, Mon Jul 28 06:06:12 2014
>> Next Message:  RE: some newly hatched Hogs - FR, Mon Jul 28 08:51:48 2014