return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: some newly hatched Hogs

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Mon Jul 28 11:18:53 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Hi Austin, please try and understand this, You and others seem to be driven by what "others" do. And without question, your welome to do that. But other folks and I, have done what we do for a very long time and it at times differs from what you hear. Interesting part is, its not a problem. Like Paul, around here, the only place cooler then 85F is in my fridge. So mid to high 80's is and has been used very successfully for decades. So you question us, We question you. funny thing is, growing up in SoCal, we commonly hatched colubrid eggs at room temps, in the low to mid seventies.
To me, what makes me the bad guy to some of you is, I do not follow the same sources as you. Its as simple as this, at this time of year, where the hogs occur, theres nowhere to nest that is not in the mid eighties or above.
Heres more for you, in nature and in my outdoor cages, herp eggs commonly are underwater for hours, even days and still hatch. The reality is, all our methods are wrong compared to nature. There, they can get really hot, and go underwater and get really cold and still hatch. Even over winter. In captivity, not so much.
You see, my teacher is nature, and yours seems to be what "others" do. Which is fine for you. But please do not make me go by what others do. Let me follow the wonders of nature. Which hognose are by the way.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: some newly hatched Hogs - Austin12, Mon Jul 28 00:02:13 2014