return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Theories or facts....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: willstill at Sun Aug 3 21:53:52 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by willstill ]  

"It's clear you guys think you know it all and there's not much point to this conversation."

No dude, that's part of the problem, its not about knowing anything. Its about discussing techniques that will improve longevity and reproductive success. That should be a good thing. The proof you require doesn't exist beyond the people that have had the courage to try these nesting techniques for themselves. You seem to demand that it be in a book or scientific journal to have value. Buddy, it doesn't work that way in this hobby, and it never has. The proof that has been given to you is based on experience, which, whether you believe it or not, is the only thing that matters. That they are willing to share their results with the folks on this board is generous in my opinion. However, some of you guys get your panties in a wad because they are upsetting the cute little arse patting contest that this forum used to be about.

I have no dog in this fight, other than seeing the husbandry of snakes I like, improved. I have seen the exact things they are reporting in kingsnakes, milksnakes, pythons, monitors and turtles. I have also seen the negative consequences of poor nesting in those same animals. In my opinion nesting complications have a cumulative effect on females. This year in fact, I set up a large nesting cage for colubrids. All females were placed in the cage prior to the pre-lay shed. In girls that have never suffered from poor nesting, resulting in eggs held too long, layed within 5 days of shedding. In females that have had past complications (held eggs too long), I saw depositions up to 15 days post shed, which resulted in female stress and egg mortality. That is my report, no more, no less. Believe or not, I don't care. But keep engaging us on this. It is good that it is being discussed as more people will test it and make up their own minds. Thanks.

Will

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Theories or facts.... - caracal, Mon Aug 4 01:24:22 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: Theories or facts.... - caracal, Sun Aug 3 19:36:21 2014