return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: nesting test cont.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Thu Aug 7 10:15:55 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Hi Gregg, I meant as a push up. Something I could Identify in the field. This pic is a varanid push up, most every night when they retire, they block the entrances like this.
Its now something I will pay attention to in the field.
I also have pics of monitors, laying eggs and carrying them to a nest. One story and I took pics, was a lacy who was down in a nest, came out and starting digging strait down from above the nesting chamber. She then gingerly started picking at something. It was white, but I could not tell what it was. Then she flicked it out and away from the area. It was a dead mouse. She then laid a few eggs on the surface, and one by one, carried them, arranged them, and normally completed nesting.

A varanid push up.

She laid the the moved eggs behind her and moved them down about two feet inside the nesting burrow.
About "smart" I am totally on Davids side on this one, Yes, snakes are born with set of instincts. And are BASICALLY guided by them, On a scale of one to ten, instincts amount to a 3. Once they enter the world. They must learn and refine basic instincts to a real set of changing conditions. Instinct alone will not allow them to survive. There is far more too it. Take feeding, some years toads are available, and they occur over there. Other years lizards are available, they occur somewhere else. So take one of your day old neonates and put it outside. Do you really think its going to live? How does it know where to go? Ask more if interested.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: nesting test cont. - Gregg_M_Madden, Wed Aug 6 18:26:47 2014