return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Kennerlyi Axanthics started pipping

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Thu Sep 4 07:25:50 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Of course you would, so you can twist and turn and disparage. I don't mind that, that is all you know how to do.
I had two issues, low fertility and incubated with a new(to me) method that turned out to be too humid for hogs. Once I went back to normal incubation it went well.
The fertility issue is most likely based on the male(tiny) being to hot.(or the female being too hot) Which is normal for around here when its june or later. By the time it hits june here, its to dang hot. My other colubrids are done copulating by april, when its still cool at night. But that will be a trial and error type of thing.
Also next year, I will have access to three axanthic males, all older and more developed then the one I used this year.
Next year I will have complete control over temps, even if they reproduce mid summer.
Because my hogs were all neonates, I did not cool them until Feb to achieve enough growth. They also took longer to cycle after they warmed up. I did not know their pattern of cycling, now I do. So I will know when to have the male(s) ready.
Lastly, I have no interest in producing numbers and hogs make too many offspring. In that, I am happy to have produced the first kennerlyi axanthics, and some wonderful neonates to work with.
I was interested in hatching size and pattern intensity, as its an indicator of what is going on in the field. Normally, neonates in the field are about double hatchling size before they surface. That is normal for all species around here. In the last few nights, we have seen four species of neonate snakes. All were much larger then hatchlings. Here in southern az. the baby bloom is in sept. yet the snakes hatched earlier, late june, july, early august, but do not surface commonly until Sept, Oct.
So twist away mister Nasty, I cannot wait to see what you come up with.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Kennerlyi Axanthics started pipping - nasicus, Thu Sep 4 08:15:56 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: Kennerlyi Axanthics started pipping - nasicus, Thu Sep 4 00:43:50 2014