return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

ball python banner pool - click here

ball python banner pool - click here

Pastel died....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Ball Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Dave7777 at Sun Oct 12 18:46:25 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Dave7777 ]  

Okay... I have been keeping ball pythons for about 15 years now. I have had relative success, with a few of the common bumps.

A few weeks back, my pastel male stopped eating. This isn't anything new, and I didn't think much of it. I had a normal male that went off food for 17 months once, and is still alive and kicking. This particular pastel male has been off food for as much as 2 months at the time before (outside of normal cooling pre-breeding) with no ill effects.

He didn't lose any weight, and shed once a few weeks ago. I figured he'd go back on food afterwards, but he kept refusing the rats I offered. Water was present in his enclosure the entire time, and he drank regularly. Two weeks ago, I noticed his color was starting to look a little washed out. Almost like he was getting ready to shed again, but I knew it was too soon for that.

I went to check on him today, and he was dead.

Has anyone had this kind of thing happen before? All of the other snakes in that rack system are doing fine. The temps in every cage has been steady with the hot end around 90 and the cool end around 78.

The snake was 13-14 years old. I got it in 04 as a holdback from a full pastel clutch. The only idea I had is possibly either old age or a parasite of some sort.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated as I don't have the money to drop on a vet's visit for a dead snake.

Thanks.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Pastel died.... - Pshuman, Mon Oct 13 03:35:30 2014