return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Finally got my Taiwanese beauty snake

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ggolemg at Tue Oct 14 20:42:16 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ggolemg ]  

A number of reasons actually, life putting things on hold mostly. But in that time I tried to narrow down exactly what I was looking for in a snake, attribute wise, and researched the laws in my state regarding them.

What I ended up trying to find was:
Diurnal or mostly diurnal
A large snake that was still manageable
Very low heating and humidity requirements
A snake with a good temperament
A snake that would make a good pet with children
What I would consider a beautiful snake
A snake that fit into our current budget
One that would fit in our big enclosure (6'x6'x2')
Semi-arboreal
A higher level of intelligence
Doesn't mind being out in the open
One that's curious

While life took over (married, two kids, etc) and I couldn't have one, I still had time to research all of these criteria, figure out exactly what I wanted. Turns out it was a taiwanese beauty snake with a good disposition.

From there, it was a matter of finding one for sale. Harder than it sounds. There were a few big name sellers of them, most with bad reputations on fc boi, and I do pay attention and research that as well, so they were out.

The next were private breeders inside of the US, few and far between, some wanting a bit too much for them, one (not named) on facebook wanted $250 $90 shipping, and that's just outside of my price range. A couple with the response of "they'll get back to me" and never did.

Then I turned to craigslist, got burnt, seller said he had one for $100, great, we agree on a day and time, I drive 3 hours out of state and by the time I get there he said he already sold it but he had a ball python if I was interested. I wasn't.

Jump a year later from all of that, and basically giving up on getting one, my wife says that the narbc show is coming up and that we should go, she knew about me looking all of this up because I had pestered her with all of it.

We go and she was there and I consider myself lucky.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  River Road Albin het snow suboc eyecandy - wohlerswi, Wed Oct 22 18:05:46 2014
<< Previous topic:  100 flower snake eggs pipping - RinL, Sun Oct 12 13:22:29 2014