return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Frank and Will...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Gregg_M_Madden at Mon Nov 17 09:55:59 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Gregg_M_Madden ]  

Frank,
Het have genetic worth. They are gene carriers. While they may not visually show the axanthic trait, they still carry the gene to produce more.

You breed het to het, 25% of your clutch will be visual axanthics, 25% will be completely normal and not carry the gene, and 50% will be normal looking and they will be carrying the gene. Het to visual, 50% of your clutch will be visual axanthics and 50% will be normal but carrying the gene. And we all know what happens when you breed visual to visual. Crossing it out to other morphs is only something you do when you want to create a combo morph. The ultimate goal with that is to produce a double homozygous animal. An example of that would be a double visual axanthic albino AKA a snow.

That still does not make normal wild types that are 100% het for a recessive gene worthless on any scale, genetic or market wise.

What you do with your animals is not up to me or anyone. It is up to you Frank. If you made a suggestion to me, I would take it into consideration and be objective. If I still did not agree after considering it I would not implement it into my program. I just posted my opinion on how genetics should be proven out. It is more than taking two like animals and pairing them up to make more like animals. Like I said, it is my opinion and accepted as the means of proving genetics. You do not have to follow that path and you can take my opinion as it is or throw it out the window.

I am not against you or how you do things Frank. As far as Troy goes, I felt the need to say something as his friend. He is a grown man and can certainly defend himself. Again, as his friend and someone who knows him and what he stands for in this hobby, I just could not sit and watch 2 people I respect drag his name through the dirt and say things that are not true about him personally. That's what that was all about. I said what I felt I needed to say and that is where I would like to leave it.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Frank and Will... - FR, Mon Nov 17 11:03:38 2014
>> Next Message:  RE: Frank and Will... - willstill, Mon Nov 17 14:09:11 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: Frank and Will... - FR, Mon Nov 17 08:22:10 2014