return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Metabolism high in hogs vs kings?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Sun Nov 30 08:49:23 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

I think this is one of those questions that's a bit confusing and in a lot of ways.
The problem is, there is a huge difference between what they do and what we allow them to do in captivity. And with hogs, its very true.
Its easy to see fast thin daytime active snakes such as coachwhips, racers, etc. Utilize high temps. and are commonly seen active in the hotter times of the day. Other species, avoid the heat of the day(on the surface) and move on the surface at night.
Hognose, cover a wide range of conditions, crawling when its very cool and commonly active when its very hot.
One huge misconception is digestion. Keepers think its takes a long time, like several days or longer. Which is very very odd. In the field, most snakes consume, digest, pass waste, in 24 hours. Very mammal like. If they are supported with normal operating temps(to them) I recorded free ranging snakes. I had a wild coachwhip, consume 4 to 7 small mice a day for 14 and 16 days in a row. Only to stop to lay eggs. I also had diamondbacks, feed daily for several months. Mohaves as well. Also gophersnakes.
So yes, hogs utilize high temps. Like varanids, and like varanids, they must have the ability to use cool temps as well.
The point, in 18 years of taking BT's of montane rattlesnakes, the highest body temp was 97F on a gravid female with a large food bolus. Normally the temps were from the forties to the mid eighties. Kingsnakes, COOL TEMPS IN NATURE. mid eighties would be rare. Hogs, commonly over 90F with a max of 106F. So yes, hogs utilize heat that simply would kill kingsnakes. so I guess we can say they have(utilize) a higher metabolism then kings. That is they choose to use a higher metabolism then kings choose to use.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Metabolism high in hogs vs kings? - Gregg_M_Madden, Fri Nov 28 09:56:00 2014