return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
pool banner - $50 year

REt2

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Fri Dec 12 10:33:29 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

The fastest growing king I ever raised, went from hatchling, to 38 inches in less then a year. It was a very funny event. I fed it almost everyday. I had a snake room and its cage was by the door. As soon as I came in the room, it came to the front of the cage a begged for food. So as is my nature, I fed it. But then it was not the only one.
About six months in, I said to my wife, that king by the door is growing was faster then all the others, how weird. She said, well it should, I feed it everyday. WHAT!!!!!!! I feed it daily as well, the dang snake was eating twice a day. hahahahahahahaha.
How I came about this was back in 1962 I believe. I worked at a pet shop(summer job) and sold this lady a baby cal king. I also sold her the cage etc. Remember, I was just a kid. She asked how to keep it and I said, keep it warm and feed it. Well about 8 months go by and she comes in with this beautiful adult cal king. I asked where did you get that. She said, its the one you sold me. I freaked out and asked, what did you do? she said, I did what you said, I kept it warm and fed it. Hmmmmmmmmmmm she broke all the rules. Or did she open the door to new rules? Well that was a long time ago. I have taken that approach to torts, turtles, snakes, lizards, boas, pythons, etc and it has worked exceptionally well with all those species. And all from that innocent wonderful lady. By the way, I captive bred my first kings that year.
These days, you can goggle up(research????) anything, but you cannot goggle up context. Mostly what gets written is average. The problem with average is, the average wild snake DIES, its the exceptional individual that matures and lives. Science has screwed that up(to quantify) and so do keepers. Every one talks about keeping their animals the best, and actually keep them average or less then average. Its so easy today to learn to supply basic needs, That should allow you to support your animals to their full potential. Sorry for the rant.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: REt2 - DavidM85, Fri Dec 12 15:40:09 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: How Often Mexican Black Kingsnake Shed? - FR, Fri Dec 12 10:13:00 2014