return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Nose Rub

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pine/Bull/Gopher Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: paulf11 at Tue Dec 23 15:23:52 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by paulf11 ]  

Gents if anyone still frequents this site, I could do with a few suggestions.

A bit of background about me as well as the snake...
Kept lots of different N.American colubrids over the past 20 years, but never been interested in breeding any of them. Living in the UK I never heard of winter cooling in the pre internet days, so never really bothered once I found out about it. All my animals have always been in display vivs in the front room, and until now, I've never had any problems.

I have had a male Annectens from hatchling to about six years of age. If ever a snake could be classed as a pet, he is the one. He is out free roaming for at least an hour every day, but usually more. He has always been a snake that wanted to be out roaming, even though he is in a 4'L x 3'W x 20"H stylized viv with plenty of branches and hides to keep him occupied.
Now I am used to male snakes getting the urge to breed, and going into overdrive with the roaming around, but I usually just try and let them out for a bit longer than usual.
Over the past six weeks or so though he has become almost frantic to get out and is beginning to develop nose rub and/or scale damage on his snout. Nothing has changed inside or out of the viv, and no female snakes have come into my small collection, though there has been a juvenile male bull come in in the last 12 months.
He is behaving perfectly normal in every other way, but I am becoming slightly alarmed at his constant rubbing and consequent damaged scales.
I know our snakes are not pets but I have always let my animals free roam one at a time. While the gopher is in this state he is never in the viv, and no one else is getting a look in!
Any suggestions as to how I could put a stop to, or lessen this rubbing behaviour would be very welcome.

Thanks, Paul.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Nose Rub - shadowguy, Wed Dec 24 23:32:32 2014