return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: het melanistic thayeri

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Mon Feb 2 10:15:21 2015  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

There is more, It was Bill Garska that found the area by accidentally road cruising two(a pair) one cold rainy night. If I remember correctly, he had given up on road hunting and was helping out a couple of stranded girls get back to town, when he found them. He wrote a paper on montane kings and I was his field guy. We inspected all the preserved kings and their localities.
Bill was an odd person and we got along well. One of the first Thayeri he found was a wonderful lite phase leonis type, Almost like a speckled alterna. He did not like that snake, so he traded it to me for the ugliest Blairs I had ever seen, a female rearly all black.
Bill was also the one who brought the albino Q kings into captivity. The first one of those was found in a lizard trap by a Herp student. They wrote a short note on how it was the missing link between Mexicana and milk snakes. Bill and Erine Wagner went down and found three Q kings. He bred them and gave some offspring to a herp student(friend) of his. That person hatched out some albinos, he then offered them back to Bill. But Bill didn't like albinos and said no, I don't want them. Right after They found #2,3,and 4 Q kings, Bill drew me a map as to where they were found, and I went there. The map included where to find the best carnitas in all of Mexico. hahahahahahahahahaha Anyway I went to the known site and it was destroyed. We had checked into a hotel, but then checked right back out. While heading out saw a nice area to investigate and my friend said, naw, lets go to find thayeri. Oddly I made a U turn and went down a dirt road, parked and we found 3 in ten minutes. We went back to town and got our hotel room back. We found 27 in the next day. Which was sad, my permit was for six, but most were large adults and I wanted neonates. So I kept a pair, we then went to N.L. and I found the Black Thayeri, and a few normal. So we went back to Q. to release the Adult Q kings. This time, there was all sizes and phases.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Why not? A few more collection photos - HeavenHell, Sat Jan 31 14:30:55 2015
<< Previous topic:  New owner... MBK...feeding? - superbee, Sat Jan 24 14:09:47 2015