return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: rosy project advise?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: markg at Mon Feb 16 03:39:57 2015  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by markg ]  

If I remember correctly, the axanthic Limburg does not produce the really white snows. It is the axanthic Morongo that does a better job of eliminating color. I hope someone can offer additional or more accurate info on the white snow subject, and correct me if I am wrong.

The Limburgs (hets, albinos and axanthics) get nice and big. They feed without trouble and are more tolerant of husbandry mistakes. They originated from a locality that has a bit higher average humidity than the Morongos or Borregos, so they are less sensitive to humidity problems. That is their draw, apart from being beautiful.

I used to breed rosies way back, but nothing like snows. After much trial, I found that they do very well with limited ventilation as long as I did not keep water in the cage more than a day or two at a time. When ambient humidity was moderate, I just did not offer water. When ambient humidity was low, I offered water. Worked very well. I also kept heat on all Winter, though the rest of the cage got into the 50s F.

Some people use screen tops for more ventilation to remedy too much humidity. Make sure you offer a tight hide if doing so. I am not a fan of screen tops for snakes. Too drying. IMO, much simpler to just take out the water bowl. Rosies in the wild do not have burrows with water bowls. They conserve water by avoiding dessicating conditions.

I find rosies to be similar to hognose snakes in temperature preferences. Even they way they feed reminds me of hognose, well except for the constriction. I find that rosies really seemed to like the use of plain packing paper crumpled up. I use packing paper in rolls from Home Depot - it is really just unprinted newspaper. Rosies like to hide under it, with the weight of it on them. You can use aspen too with the paper, or just aspen, or just paper. See what works for yours. My rosies seemed less stressed with paper. In fact, I had to be careful. When in feed mode, they would erupt from under the paper. I got nailed a few times. Rosies have strong jaws believe it or not.

Pic is Whitewater rosy habitat. Beautiful.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• rosy project advise? - geckoejon, Sun Feb 15 07:25:27 2015
    • You Are HereRE: rosy project advise? - markg, Mon Feb 16 03:39:57 2015 image in post

>> Next topic:  color change - neiltrais, Tue Mar 10 13:02:29 2015
<< Previous topic:  NEW ROSY MORPH ! - albinorosy, Fri Sep 26 10:53:40 2014