return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: my year so far

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Tue Apr 7 08:32:58 2015  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

I cooled six females, one may be too small. I did not cool the males. The males are in great shape, As opposed to last year.
Of the six, three have copulated so far. Hmmmmmmm I have three males in use. So round one.
I introduced the females to the males. I learned this a long time ago, if you put the males in the females cage, they wander and explore for a while. If you put the females in the males cage, they go right to it. In reality, its they will work it out anyway. But if you are in a hurry to SEE copulation, then females to males. The males courted like you described for a two days, they copulated for one day, then stopped. I left the females in the males cage for a couple more days then moved them back to their own cages. Will repeat once a week or so, Until they shed. My hogs developed large easily palpable ovum during the shed cycle. Most snakes do that prior to shedding. So hogs seem to be a bit odd.
Anyway, will report more when more occurs, hahahahahahaha To me, the next step is the key, nesting. But then, I tend to think that's important to reptiles.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: a tiny rant - FR, Tue Apr 7 08:44:12 2015

<< Previous Message:  RE: Greg or ? - FR, Tue Apr 7 08:11:56 2015