return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Eastern Indigo Eggs

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Indigo Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: VICtort at Tue Apr 14 17:38:54 2015  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by VICtort ]  

Dear tinamarie,

first congratulations on getting that far along, you must be doing something right to get breeding and egg laying. Those eggs are longer, more lozenge shaped than mine, which are more rounded/sperical by comparison. I think they can vary. They look sort of tannish/brown, is that from the substrate they were laid in, perhaps sphagnum/peat moss? Eggs are usually white to off-white cream colored, so they appear discolored in the photo. Do you know why? If just stained from substrate, not likely a problem, if changing colors as they incubate, it may be a bad sign.

I can not see the little spicules that healthy eggs usually have, the photo not detailed enough, are they present?

Those eggs if not fertile usually will go bad within about 2 weeks of incubation, so you will probably know their fate. IF any doubt, give life a chance and keep incubating, you may be surprised. If you see dramatic mold growth, not promising, suggest you take that one out and separate from others. Good eggs don't smell foul, so bad odor and heavy mold is usually sign of going bad. Mild mold is often not a killer, often they will hatch, ask us for help if you are faced with that.

I wish you the best of luck, it is really fun to take snakes full cycle. Let us know how it goes. As you will learn, hatching healthy eggs is a challenge, indigos should never be cheap, everyone I know has been humbled with failed breeding attempts. But Ah... those successful ones, How Sweet It Is! Good luck, Vic

PS If you care to share, where did you get the parents? Do you know the origin of the sire and dam?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereRE: Eastern Indigo Eggs - VICtort, Tue Apr 14 17:38:54 2015

>> Next topic:  who has the biggest? - sbabysnakes, Fri Jun 26 23:57:01 2015
<< Previous topic:  Eastern Indigo Eggs - tinamarie, Mon Apr 13 08:48:22 2015