return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Brazilian Rainbow Boa health issues

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rainbow Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: lilsamsara at Fri Jun 19 18:48:19 2015  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by lilsamsara ]  

I bought a BRB from a breeder in March when she was 7 months old & have had regurgitation issues ever since. First I thought it was a heat spike. Her tank got up to 86f for a day so I fixed that issue & it still kept happening. I had her in a vivarium & completely gutted it and put her on a simple LAM setup with a hide & some approved soil for humidity. I did research on the plants I had before putting them in there & they weren’t toxic but who knows what the stores put on them to preserve them. After waiting another two week period to let her stomach bacteria build back up she ate a pinky with benebac (a probiotic) on 6/5 and kept it down. She was showing signs of hunger so I fed her two days ago 6/17 and has been fine until today…

She started writhing around uncontrollably like she was in severe pain. It was like a seizure episode but instead of shaking she was writhing around. It finished with her head completely upside down & her mouth open. I rushed her to the vet & he had no idea what was wrong. He gave her a generic dewormer & will be calling his buddies at UC Davis for more information. When I got her in the carrier she was strike-y and nervous (I could tell she was hurting) but when she got to the vet she was perfectly normal again which confused us further.

She has a great personality, never nippy or nervous, always curious and active but right after she eats she shows signs of discomfort. She sprawls out in the middle of the terrarium and lays there with her head cocked to the side or turned completely 180 degrees at her neck. I'm used to snakes retreating to their warm hide, curling up & digesting for a few days but it’s like shes in pain/discomfort after she eats everytime.

Specs: 10 months old, 20in long, humidity 80-97, temp 70-80f, started her on fuzzy & hopper mice but due to her regurgitation syndrome Ive had her on pinkies to keep the stress of eating to a minimum

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Brazilian Rainbow Boa health issues - boidmorphs, Sat Jun 20 06:12:29 2015