return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

wondering what cause of death was

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dog Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bmcclint at Wed Aug 17 10:42:13 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bmcclint ]  

We had two happy, healthy Miniture Schnauzer sister dogs. They were five in April. Ruby was normal Sunday morning and they developed a kind of moaning. She would only lay up-right on her haunches instead of her usual side position. We put her to bed that night hoping all would be well the next day. Monday morning she was making a nosie that made you know it was associated with breathing, but not terrible. An appt. with the vet was scheduled for three. By two she had QUICKLY gone down-hill and the vets coundn't get a tube down her throat and had to do a trach. She had a hard time with it, but hoped it would work. We brought her home for about four hours, but returned her to the vet because of concerns of continued bleeding from the trach tube, nose, and increased difficulty in breathing. We thought we had lost her on the table, but the vet did another emergency trach and put her on O2. She got somewhat better, but I was still concerned with the non-clotting issues. Finally, it was determined that she had very few platelets and they were given followed by Vit. K injections. The bleeding stopped for awhile and the vet wondered about Decon exposure of which we cannot see how that was possible. I should add the difficulty in her breathing came from excessive swelling in her neck. Even under her tongue was swollen. Multiple does of steroids, anti-histimes and antibiotics did nothing to help the whole day and she just got worse and worse. Her breathing the second time at the vet was fast, shallow and labored. I would hate to think that someone would poison a pet, so my question is....I know decon etc. takes days to work for anticoagulation part, so what caused the excessive neck swelling leading to respiratory distress? I can't see how they tie together. We are so heart-broken and just was an answer. Obviously Ruby passed away, but her sister is fine. Thank you for any help.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Hi All - kona63, Wed Aug 17 12:49:36 2011
<< Previous topic:  Scary day......... - Kiricki, Tue Aug 16 15:00:24 2011