return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Diarrhea

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dog Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: RoseDovey at Tue Jul 3 17:48:56 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RoseDovey ]  

Both my dogs have been having intermittent diarrhea for nearly two months now.

My veterinarian tested a stool sample for worms and giardia, and it came back negative on both.

He didn't think it was necessary to test for things along the lines of liver or kidney failure, since both dogs came down with the exact same symptoms on the same day.

He said if it's on infection of some sort, that that might show up on a blood test, but I declined to have one done for the time being. If it was an infection, I would have been reluctant to put them on antibiotics for something that wasn't making them very sick, and it might just run it's course.

But now it has been going on so long, that I'm thinking of taking them back to the vet for more tests.

The symptoms are, they have diarrhea with a lot of mucus in it for a day or too, then will be fine for anywhere from four to ten days, then suddenly one of them has diarrhea again. It is not real watery, but more pudding like, with a lot of mucus. They seem to be feeling fine otherwise, eating and drinking normally, going for long walks, et cetera. This did all start about two weeks after a camping trip during which they drank out of a creek a few times, which could be connected.

My main question is, how concerned do you think I should be about this? I'm trying to decide whether to take them to the vet again, or continue to give it more time.

Please let me know if you can think of anything specific I should ask my vet to check for, that might cause mucusy diarrhea on and off for such a long time.

Also, I would appreciate any dietary advice that might help this problem. They are eating mostly venison with oatmeal or rice, carrots, and some eggs. I feed kibble occasionally, but not often enough to have much effect on nutrition. I've considered cutting certain things out entirely since this started, in case it is an allergy, but then I just keep thinking that since it's affecting both of them, it must be something they picked up.

Sorry this has been such a long post. Any advice you can offer is appreciated.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Diarrhea - PHDrTobin, Thu Jul 5 15:56:18 2012