return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

chemo and low red blood-cell count

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dog Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: RoseDovey at Fri Jun 21 23:18:12 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RoseDovey ]  

My dog just started chemo for lymphoma, and her second treatment has had to be delayed twice now because her red blood-cell count is too low. Her white blood-cell count is normal.

My vet recommended feeding her more liver, and I've also added cooked nettles and nettle tea to her diet for the iron, but so far it doesn't seem to be helping. She has kidney and liver problems, which have improved a lot over the last few months but may still be hampering her ability to replace red blood-cells.

In addition to any dietary advice, I also wondered if you know whether getting a lot of exercise would be good, bad, or irrelevant to this problem. It seems to me like the need for more oxygen in the blood might stimulate the production of red blood-cells, but on the other hand it may just "wear out" the ones she has left and make them die faster. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you for your time.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: chemo and low red blood-cell count - PHDrTobin, Tue Jul 9 15:12:28 2013