return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Looking to upsize/improve my pond

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Ponds & Water Gardens ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: shadango at Tue Mar 8 07:06:25 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by shadango ]  

Hi all...

New to the forum.....I have some questions I am hoping you folks can help me answer. (I apologize in advance for the long post)...

I currently have a dogbone shaped poly-form pond with small polyformed water fall in my back yard. I believe the pond itself is around 300 gallons...about 7 feet wide, 4 feet front to back, and 18" deep in the center..........I have been using a small in-pond filter box with aeration fountain and a seperate small pump for my water fall. There are 4 golfish/koi-----about 4-6 inches long -- and a 10 inch catfish....(he was TINY when we got him!)

After 5 years of this, and the fact that we just had to repair a pretty large crack in the pond liner yesterday, I am ready to go bigger and to the rubber membrane....but I definately want to get away from the in-pond filter...maintenance is too much of a pain, especially in the winter when we have to pull it out....

The pond is situated into a 90 degree corner of my yard that is formed by two large brick walls..one a retaining wall and the other is one wall of a large brick shed which has electric and drain pipes, but no water hookup.

I was hoping to enlarge the pond to about 10-12 feet wide, 8-10 feet front to back and more of an irregular, natural shape....same depth...about 18 inches, as planned. Maybe a few inches deeper. My figuring comes up to about 1300 gallons.....

I wanted to increase the size of the water fall just a bit as well, with better flow. The water fall is currently about 2 feet high....wanted to go to maybe 3 or 3.5 feet high. I am going to get rid of the hard poly liner and go with rubber..the poly is just too hard to landscape around....

I would like to install the filter and pump in the shed and just route tubing/pipes through the shed wall....keeping the equipment out of site, along with avoiding running electric cords into the pond.....We have had problems with algae in the past, so I know that I want the UV type filter .....

Is this possible?? Can anyone recommened a good filter with UV? I was looking at the Cyprio Bioforce pressurized filter.....

Do I have to have an "in pond" type pump?? And do I need a 'skimmer' ?

I live near Pittsburgh, PA and the pond is in direct sunlight for much of the day....

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can lend....again, sorry for the length of the post....

Shadango

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]