return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Diagnosis: Unknown?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Ponds & Water Gardens ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FMJnaX at Thu Apr 21 13:54:36 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FMJnaX ]  

Hi all,

Since this is my first post, please bear with me while I give you a background on my setup:

I have an outdoor "Whiskey barrel" pond (~25 gal - 26" diameter, 18" depth) in a Zone 4a-5a (Albuquerque, New Mexico). The temperatures are rising here (high 60's to high 70's). I've had this barrel set up with a normal pond liner and a "fountain" (faux hand pump) for about week now. Within this setup, we are using normal aquarium gravel that was purchased at PetSmart, about 1/4 inch deep. It is also supplimented with about 2 handfuls of gravel taken from a healthy, established, cold water tank from my local pet shop (not Wal-Mart or PetSmart).

I let the water stand for 2 days as well as added supplements of AquaSafe to ready the water. At the same time, we purchased a couple of Japanese Water Iris' and have them planted in thier pots.

The next day (3 days after setup), I went back to my local pet shop and looked at the fish (they have "feeders", Comets (thought they were the same, but oh well), Koi, 'Bunkin's, and Fancy's. Naturally, I went with.... a fancy (thought I was going to say Koi, did you? lol). I got a beautiful 3" fantail (white and orange). He looked in prestine condition, but acted "depressed" in the tank, as did all the other Fancy's in that tank. Needless to say, I purchased the little guy.

I used to have tropical fish growing up so I am aware of all the procedures. We didn't quarantine since he is the only fish. We "floated" him using the traditional methods for 45 minutes, no sign of distress or problems. I also examined him closer, through the bag. Again, prestine condition. Fins expanded, full and bright color, normal eyes, etc. Once he was released to the water, he took off straight down to the opposite corner of the barrel (didn't sink, swam on own free will). I've been worried ever since.

Thinking he just didn't like all the open water (nothing but the gravel and Iris' mind you), I got a half cinder block and cleaned it up real nice and clean and slowly placed it in the tank. He seemed to like that as now he hides in the middle virtually all the time, but still was very lazy.

He doesn't seem stressed and doesn't show any tell-tale signs of any diseases or problems (aside from the genetic swiming issues Fancy's have). On a very rare occassion, he will get out and swimm about when the patio lights are off, it's dark outside, and nobody is around (I watch him from the balcony above). The second someone steps out or turns on the light, it's like he plays dead (actually quite funny). He'll stop dead in his tracks and sink down or even run back to his block or corner.

He hasn't eaten in the last week (not that I know of anyway). We've offered him 2-3 pellets, but he won't take them (again, as far as I know. They disappear, but I'm not sure if he eats them or if they sink). Naturally, I keep telling myself that he's still getting used to the new home and I want to run out and get him a buddy, but I have to stop myself and think about what if he really is sick.

Now, like I said, we don't have lighting, filtration, oxygenation, etc aside from the water fountain pushing 30GPH. This should be plenty of oxygen for him, but I was worried about the other Chem's. Naturally, I made another trip to the local pet shop. I ended up coming home with a Penguin 100GPH tri-filter (mech, chem, and BIO-wheel) to help regulate the chemicals as well as add extra oxygen. I also ended up with 5 bunches of Anacharis for both an oxygenator and food for the guy (since he won't eat when I'm around).

The barrel seems to be doing alright. I added another half dose of AquaSafe just in case. I need more cover for sure, but he has the block for now. The barrel gets full sun 3-4 hours a day. I have yet to have "green water". Water temps flucuate from 65F at night to 68F during the day (which should be in the range, if not a bit high, for him). I plan on getting a small 25W or 50W heater for winter next year, but no need right now.

So, now that I've bored you with my full setup, do I have anything to worry about aside from getting more cover in there? I've got some Hornwort and dwarf lilies on the way. I haven't bought any test kits yet (I know I should, but when I see the price for the 5-in-1 , I always back down, even though I KNOW I need it, especially in the first months) but everything looks good. Water should be "safe" and the filter coupled with the plants and conditioned gravel should handle the Ammonia and Nitrites, right? Is there anything else I could be missing? My daughter loves this little guy and I would hate for something to happen. I know I made mistakes, but I rushed before reading (lots of good knowledge on here!) and now I'm trying to make the best of things. Please tell me the guy is just getting used to his new home or, at the very worse, is stressed. I doubt he's stressed because his fins are still extended, he doesn't gast for air, and is still "slimey" (only touched once). If there's anything else you need to help me diagnose, please let me know.

Thanks to everyone who has read my entire life story. I greatly appreciate it!

--Joseph

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Diagnosis: Unknown? - oranda, Thu Apr 21 16:17:57 2005