return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

911 sick koi turning red like sunburn (almost like when we first bruise red allover)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Ponds & Water Gardens ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: blueyz75 at Wed Jul 20 21:33:28 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by blueyz75 ]  

Help SOS 911 I'm afraid i'm going to lose my koi an I dont know what to do. I'm afraid if i dont get somethign in him soon that will work I might. If he could kill himself he would, I keep stopping him. I have in a tank he can't jump out of. If he were my dogs i'd be holding him right now.

OK first the basics I'm sure will be asked, I have a Luguna powerjet either the 1500 or 2000 pump in an approximately 300-350 gallon pond. connected to that I have their two chambered filter I use as a mechanical filter (two chambered) to keep crap out of the pump. it runs all the time. The water runs up to a water fall source which serves as the bio filter it has lava rocks and pot scrubbies in it and than a big piece of filter media over all that. I use the good biobacteria with the barley in it to get it seeded, added a scoop a day (1tbsp) when pond has been yucky from rain etc. Also use algaefix when nec. I live in IL and the pond is about 18 inches or less deep. New one currently being dug. I have three plants (cannas) in pots on top of that and also water hycinth which isn't nec doing wonderful. I also have two shubunkins (or fantails) have heard them referred to as the same thing? which are no bigger than 3 inches each, I have two koi, one isabout 6 inches the other about 10, and a "fish" that is gold in color that was rescued and adopted last summer. For the last two days I have recuccitated my big koi (the 10" one) about 4 times. i worked with him for over half an hour today outside swimmign and breathing and holding him before bringing him in. Right now he's in a 100 gallon stock tank about half full, he is trying to jump when inside. i have a bubbbler on the bottom. he has one little sore on his head that looks like when you cut your finger, that flap of skin. his skin has lost coloring but that has happened gradually and now he almost looks like when a human gets a sun burn. he has a reddish tint to him.
I have melafix and parasite blocker in the pond and the tank he's in. i've also salted, although not where he is right this minute.
the ph is about 8-8.2
co2 concentration is 48 ppm
nitite none
gh was 5 drops or 5 degrees
kh was four drops or 4degrees
ammonia nh3 and nh4 reads very close to 0 there is a slight hint of green to it but barely, there is nothing on the card that has that slight shade, if i had to pick it woudl be close to the 0 ppm
Iron is 0 ppm
Taht is all the tests i have in the red sea fresh water kit, the chlorine one i dont have a scale for but i do add the dechlorinator religiously anytime i change or add water if anything i use extra to be safe.
You can see pics of pond at http://community.webshots.com/user/jeepgirlwj02 it has teh big green shade clothe over it
I hope you guys dont mind but i'm posting this other places too b/c i am WAY worried and would like to get him the path to recovery and not lose the others which all seem to be perfectly normal right now.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: 911 sick koi turning red like sunburn (almost like when we first bruise - badkarma, Thu Aug 11 23:19:06 2005
>> Next Message:  RE: 911 sick koi turning red like sunburn (almost like when we first bruise red allover) - maryclare, Thu Aug 10 15:57:54 2006