return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Infected?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Small Mammals and other pets ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: miceymom6 at Sun Jan 20 14:59:44 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by miceymom6 ]  

I used to have 3 mice. When one (She-Ra) that was very old died over Christmas I went to the pet store and bought a new mouse (after a respectable amount of time). I have done my research and knew that they might fight a little to establish dominance (She-Ra was adopted and the other two fought with her a little, but never did any hard and quit after about a week). The one I bought was much younger than Miranda and Penelope (the original mice) and it seemed like they were going to be harder on her than She-Ra, so the next day I went and got 2 more mice from the same pet store and same cage as the new mouse (Esperanza, Sabine, and Galdriel).

It seemed like that would balance things out at first, but then after a couple of days the older ones started fighting with the younger ones. I couldn't understand the dynamic (all of the new ones being white it was hard to tell them apart). The older ones would pick on one of the young mice pretty bad yet let her sleep with them, while not picking on the other two as bad. It's hard for me to tell which of the mice it was though. Two cage cleanings ago it seemed as if everybody had settled in all 5 of them started sleeping together and didn't fight (not that I saw). Then one day after work I heard fighting in the cage, I went over to find Miranda (older one) fighting with one of he young ones and then saw that the younger one had a big gash on her behind. She was bleeding and had blood on her tail. I knew something was wrong, because females don't usually fight that rough unless there is a real problem. I took the young one out, cleaned her up and put neosporin on her cuts. I then seperated all of the young ones from Penelope and Miranda. I left them like that for a week and then took the seperater from their cages and let them aquaint themselves again.

There has been no fighting (that I have seen or heard) since, and It looked like the young one was healing, but now she has another cut. I can't tell if the old one is scabbed or infected and her front hand is swollen. One of the other young ones back foot is marred and I can't tell if it's healing right. The both run normal and don't act like they are pain. Also the one who is cut up when I took her out to put neosporin on her she peed and it had a green tint! I do everything I know how and I can't find any more information on the internet. On monday I'm going to call the vet, but I don't think they'll help me much. Any body tell me what I've done wrong or I'm doing wrong or what I can do to solve this problem. I know you all love your mice as much as I do.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]