return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: New to rats, need advice on cage

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Small Mammals and other pets ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: palrthanyu at Sun Jan 6 05:41:43 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by palrthanyu ]  

Hiya!
Welcome to the world of rats. Kudos for checking into them before purchasing First of all, most places don't ship because it's so expensive. Where are you located? Maybe someone knows a breeder or good store close by.

I swear by martin's cages (www.martinscages.com) and recommend nothing smaller than the R670 (rat cabin) for two rats. I loved my 680's because they are the same length and width of the 670 but taller. They still fit perfectly in my tubs for easy cleaning. Martin's also sells aquaruim toppers too if you want to go that route (1/2 tank-1/2 wire cage). Definately get powder coated though, galvanized holds odors and looks icky after a while. Also, I recommend getting a flip top cage or not sealing the top and ordering extra springs and holding it down with them. MUCH easier for cleaning. You can also cover the floors with something. What I find works best for me is self stick linoleum. I just cut to fit and stick. It lasts through washings and all. I can just wipe the shelves and floors down for spot cleaning and then toss everything in the shower on weekends.

For substrate: I've decided I like Yesterday's news cat litter (same as the small animal one but you get more for a better price). I've been experimenting and can go 2 times as long between changings with that as opposed to CareFresh Ultra. Carefresh, Aspen or ecobedding are all good choices. If you have a Pet Supplies Plus nearby, they're cheaper than Petco for that. I was shopping today and there was a HUGE difference in price here. NEVER use pine or cedar. They have oils that are toxic to rats.

Rats should have a water bottle. A bowl won't work cause they'll fill it with bedding or spill it. I just got a glass bottle and love it. Can run it through the dishwasher or boil it it needed.

They should have a staple diet of lab blocks. Mazuri, PMI and Harlan Teklad are all good choices. A lot of petsmarts carry mazuri, Purina dealers should carry or can order it and I order my Harlan from Kim's Ark Rescue (www.kimsarkrescue.org). I also mix in some Nutro Natural Choice dry dog food and a little bit of Zupreem parrot that I snag from my boyfriend's bird lol. I supplement my girls' diet with snacks daily. Either something we're eating that's fairly healthy or with fresh fruit or frozen veggies thawed under warm water. They also love pasta, oatmeal, baby food, whole wheat toast, little bits of cheese, yogurt. Occasionally they get "fun" treats...like on christmas and birthdays...but small amounts and very rarely. The girls loved the birthday cake they had last night hehe.

I recommend a Wodent Wheel...Think Martin's Cages Sells them or try www.wodentwheel.com. Get the Wobust one. I got the next size down and they don't like it...and the big boys don't fit lol.

Definately get some kind of hidey box. I've found a plain old igloo is perfect. It fits under the shelves in the Martin's cages and doesn't get smelly like wood. Easy to clean too and no bottom to fill with pee and then have marinated rats.

um...lets see what else did you ask? oh yeah bird toys. Yeah they're good, but can be pricy. Honestly some of the favorite toys of the rats have been homemade. Hammocks from old tee shirts and hung up with diaper pins, golf practice balls without holes (watch for chewing though), pinatas made from paper towels and stuffed with cereal and treats then hung in the cage, toilet paper rolls filled with the same and the ends folded in or covered and tied off, the wheels (make sure it's a solid wheel)

Well it's almost 7am, I think I covered more than you asked so I'm gonns try to get some sleep..If there's anything else you want to know, just ask

-----
~Meg~
~~(XX)8:> Have you hugged a rat today?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: New to rats, need advice on cage - PHRatz, Mon Jan 7 12:19:03 2008

<< Previous Message:  New to rats, need advice on cage - Snaix, Sat Jan 5 21:20:46 2008