return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Help!!! Orphaned baby raccoon

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Small Mammals and other pets ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: JenMir at Thu Oct 16 10:23:35 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by JenMir ]  

I just finished rehabbing a baby raccoon. Here's what I learned... KMR Kitten Milk Replacer is a better choice because raccoons are closer related to cats. Also, at about 8-12 weeks you should begin putting a dog food or cat food in with the milk- to make a sort of soup. Raccoons are also lactose intolerant, so no yogurt milk cheese any of that stuff. They do need a rabies vaccine from a vet that will handle raccoons. You should begin restraint techniques now so you know how, most people don't know how to effectively restrain them because all four paws work as hands! They have a bit of a sweet tooth, so at 3-4 months they will eat veggies like zucchini and like eggs, grapes, scraps from cooking etc. I have a garden that Carlita (the raccoon) would steal all of my tomatoes. She didn't like to eat them, just harvast the bugs in them. They love grubs etc. At an early age they should be taken out side and put in trees to allow them to figure out how to climb and hide in trees. They should also be allowed to maintain a nocturnal schedule. Once older your little menance will try to steal anything shiney, mark territory by rubbing the butt on whatever surface, get "grabby" hands and want to touch everything!!! Oh and be careful because IL has declared that raccoons may not be held as pets. Anyone holding and maintaining care for a raccoon may be fined and will not be allowed to recieve a wildlife rehabbers permit in the future. DNR will come to your home and collect the animal, if a complaint call is made mind you. Be careful about imprinting this little thing, lol. Limit contact with people aside from yourself and once solid foods are being eaten try to limit the time you spend with it as well. If this is a "true" rescue, get in touch with a forest preserve and ask if you can take "her" there a few hours and gradually build up the time until you leave her there overnight. Of course ask if they have any guidelines and if you can release it there. Usually you can- just say that your license is pending if you don't have it yet (but please get one soon if you want to keep doing this- its $50 I think) sometimes they will tell you the best spot that isn't over populated. They breed in January so make sure that the little guy can start finding food and territory. People say don't feed an unweened baby on their back- it may reduce burps or something, but the main reason is because if they stand or sit for the bottle they will be less likely to be tamed. I strongly suggest a dog cage with a litter box!! They do like to sleep on their backs and have many weird positions and they burrow so a blanket or towel is a good idea! Raccoons also make their own latrines- usually under a tree and they return to it. If you have house plants the leaves will be stripped and piled to make a latrine. I am pre-vet and have specailized in exotics. According to several vets rabies is the number one recommended vaccine, but add to the list feline distemper, puppy parvo, feline luekemia, and flea stuff. They are also prone to a roundworm (ascarius procyonis I think) that can get to dogs, cats, and people (making this disease zoonotic) attacking the old, weak and young. I think 95% of raccoons are born with it as it is in the mother and gets to the babies through the milk. Most raccoons have this without symptoms, but a dewormer shouldn't be applied until the raccoon reaches the weight on the package directions. Most vets use the stuff for roundworms in cats. Remember that if you do deworm you need to clean up all feces immediately as they have eggs and worms. The shedding of the parasites will last for about a week. I think that is all I can remember, but if you have any other questions or concerns Flint Creek Wildlife is the best wildlife center in the Chicago area, but be careful again because they will want to either take it or they will want to know you are licensed. You can also do a search on Procyon- which is the scientific name for raccoon. Hope all of this helps! GOOD LUCK!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Help!!! Orphaned baby raccoon - JenMir, Thu Oct 16 10:30:40 2008

<< Previous Message:  Help!!! Orphaned baby raccoon - henry62395, Fri Mar 28 14:29:21 2008