return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: ph Fix in a 55 Gallon Aquarium?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fish, Coral, & Aquariums ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: phishie at Tue Feb 16 17:27:17 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by phishie ]  

7.8 is closer to neutral (7) than the 5 or 6 that you said your tank is at. There are also pH increasers sold at pet stores, and I've read that you can use sea shells as a more natural source. All the fish you've mentioned like the pH to be around 7 (all of them fit in the 6.5 to 7.5 range), at least according to my research on reputable sites.

I use the liquid additives because you don't have to worry about solids dissolving. Of course you should mix additives outside the tank. If it were me, I would add some of the pH increaser to about a gallon of water and add gradually. Maybe to do that every day until the pH is at correct level, and then just add that to the water for your water changes along with your other additives (I'm assuming you have city water and add a de-chlorinator to the water you use for your water changes - because that's what most people do, if that's not the case for you, for instance if you have well water, you may not need to add the de-chlorinator, then I would add some pH increaser to your water change water before you add it to your tank).

Stress from pH increases or decreases isn't really the number one fish killer. However, it does cause stress to the fish if it is drastic or outside their intended pH range. If the pH is too acidic, it can interrupt their osmoregulation, enzymes, and gas exchange.

I've attached a link for you on how others suggest you adjust the pH of your water.
Adjusting pH

-----
Phishie
Site Coordinator

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: ph Fix in a 55 Gallon Aquarium? - Shubunkin, Tue Mar 9 17:19:23 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: ph Fix in a 55 Gallon Aquarium? - Shubunkin, Tue Feb 16 15:01:08 2010