return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: breeding-questions about my females

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fish, Coral, & Aquariums ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: phishie at Wed Mar 24 18:51:20 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by phishie ]  

You will probably notice the males picking on the females, as a 3 female to 1 male ratio is preferred (so no one female is being picked on). Otherwise, it sounds like your set up is suitable. The snails will help maybe a little, but not majorly. You will still have to do many water changes with the smaller tank as the fry will need fed several times a day. Keep in mind that you have 4 females, and if it's their first time breeding they can have anywhere from 8-20 fry (their first time and many more there after).

You will be able to tell when your female is ready to pop by the gravid spot (the dark spot on her abdomen, close to the anus). If I recall correctly, I think it's a cycle of 28 days from fertilization to birth. You will be able to tell... trust me. Mine used to rest on the bottom of the tank because I imagine their bellies were quite heavy. You can only keep the female in the breeding box/net for 24 hours... otherwise you will stress her out tremendously... and she could lose her babies.

It is likely that your female is pregnant if she was with males at the pet store. If not, she very well could be over eating, but guppies are very easy to breed... so my guess is she IS pregnant.

I never had a filter in my fry tank, but I made sure the water was well aerated and clean. So the air stone will be fine, an added bonus to relieve stress from the babies.

Water changes should be performed carefully. It takes some getting used to. I did not use a siphon to perform my water changes. Also, keep in mind that the fry will be more sensitive than their parents, during the first little bit of life, to water changes. So do little changes more frequently. I'd say maybe 1/2 gallon every week, or more if your specific tank needs it. I used a one gallon tank for my fry, but I only had one or two females breeding at a time and they were new mommies.

Good luck.
-----
Phishie
Site Coordinator

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  breeding-questions about my females - xchairity_casex, Wed Mar 24 14:16:56 2010