return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Do I want an aquarium?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fish, Coral, & Aquariums ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: phishie at Mon May 24 16:47:51 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by phishie ]  

You're welcome.

I do like the tube tanks, but they are more pricey than the regular tanks. One day I will have one though, and if you can afford it, I say go for it. If you use reverse osmosis water or spring water to fill your tank, you won't need a water conditioner (only if you use tap water, and then you should let your water sit for at least 24 hours even with the water conditioner - once you have fish in the tank that is). Make sure your filter suits your tank... they specify on the packaging. There is a really awesome gadget called the python (I don't know if you've seen it). You connect it to your water source, and then just empty your tank (20% of your tank water that is) and then refill just by flipping a lever. It does run about $90-$100, so it's a bit pricey, but it does work wonders.

Also be sure your water testing kit includes: ammonia, pH, nitrate and nitrite levels. They have the dip strips which are convenient or the add drops to your water sample and wait for a color types. I like the add drops to the sample, but then again I absolutely love science. (Call me a geek if you must. )

A note on cichlids, you will probably want to get juveniles because they are less aggressive (usually), and once your fish start to grow up they will become VERY territorial, so adding fish when some are adults is a no no. I would also ask what the fish are currently eating because if they are eating one food and you switch the food, they may not eat the new food when stressed. You can also add stress coat to the tank before you add fish. It just helps them through the stressful times of being relocated. Basically it provides more mucous for their slime coat to prevent diseases. *unless they are already sick*

If you are not rushing setting up your tank, you can try to find some biospira (which is supposed to be way better than cycle, but I've heard both good and bad about it- the people who say it works, I trust them... but the bad things I've heard were online, so it's hard to say whether or not what they're saying is true).

Be sure to research the fish you want before you purchase them. It will be better for all.
-----
Phishie
Site Coordinator

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Do I want an aquarium? - matute, Mon May 24 12:37:59 2010