return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

setting up new tank

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fish, Coral, & Aquariums ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: starywary at Thu Jun 19 06:24:35 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by starywary ]  

Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to having a Betta. My son got a coupon for a free betta as student of the month in preschool, and I finally went to get him. I've been keeping him in a cylinder vase (sometimes a gallon bowl while I clean the vase-also about a gallon) and he sits on my computer desk, so of course now I've fallen in love with the little guy. I got a used 10 gallon set up that included a lighted hood, undergravel filter, Second Nature Whisper Power Filter, Mighty I air pump, and Supreme heetmaster thermostatic heater. I have several questions...

1) Is that kind of heater ok? I don't know anything about heaters, but it seems kind of old, but it looks like it's in good condition.

2) I've been reading here and there about setting up a new tank, and it seems like I have to have a fish in there to cycle the tank. Does it have to be the Betta? I was thinking about seeing if he would get along with a few neon tetras or at least a pleco or ghost shrimp. Can I use on of these do the job, or should he be the first one in the tank. (I'm just afraid of killing him, and even though it sounds terrible, I wouldn't be as upset if it was a fish I wasn't attached to)

3) Which filter should I use? Is the undergravel filter ok, or the power filter, or should I use both?

4) are plastic plants better or live? Which is easier to maintain?

5) The tank has a background on it, will the Betta like it or is it not necessary?

6) I have a very small plastic plant that is in the vase, and the tank came with another small one, if I put both in, is that enough hiding area, or should I still add a little hiding cave or more plants or something? Also, should the plants be in the same area of the tank so he has more space to swim, or is it ok to put one on either end?

7) I got a small bottle of Betta Safe water conditioner. Is that an ok one, and is that all I need to add to the tap water? I read about using a little aquarium salt for Bettas and using an ick and fungus preventative. What is the best way to treat the water (including the water changes)

8) Do I have to use gravel or can I use slightly bigger rocks. Or, if I don't use the undergravel filter, is it ok to use fairly big (about 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter) river rocks? I just bought two bags and I love the way they look, plus they seem way easier to clean and manage, but is it too heavy?

9) Am I just over-thinking all of this?

Thank you for any responses.Sorry my post is so long, I just really want to make sure I give this guy the best little home and I want to set up the 10 gallon as soon as possible.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: setting up new tank - starywary, Thu Jun 19 06:28:11 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: setting up new tank - phishie, Thu Jun 19 10:04:17 2008