return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: setting up new tank

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fish, Coral, & Aquariums ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: phishie at Thu Jun 19 10:04:17 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by phishie ]  

Hello, and welcome to the boards. I'm PHishie, the moderator. I'd like you to know we are here to answer the questions you have so please feel free to ask as many as you want/need.

>>1) Is that kind of heater ok? I don't know anything about heaters, but it seems kind of old, but it looks like it's in good condition.

Bettas don't really need a heater unless your room is rather chilly. They need the water temperature to be about 78-80 degrees. Other than that they are just happy as can be. I have had a few bettas (they lived for at least 3 years before dying of other causes), and have never used a heater. I also have reptiles though so my house is usually on the warm side. I tend to be a little cold blooded myself. j/k.
You should invest a few bucks on a thermometer for the tank to make sure he's doing alright.

>>2) I've been reading here and there about setting up a new tank, and it seems like I have to have a fish in there to cycle the tank. Does it have to be the Betta? I was thinking about seeing if he would get along with a few neon tetras or at least a pleco or ghost shrimp. Can I use on of these do the job, or should he be the first one in the tank. (I'm just afraid of killing him, and even though it sounds terrible, I wouldn't be as upset if it was a fish I wasn't attached to)

You can cycle fishless. Although, I've never done it, it can be done. I can send you the directions if you're interested... just let me know. Bettas and tetras don't do well as cycling fish. Although some Bettas are pretty hardy, I know several people who have killed the because they didn't cycle the tank first. I'm not sure about plecos being good for the job, but they may be. Usually it's your goldfish, rasboras, fish like these (if you search hardy starter fish on google there are plenty of names for you) that do well with cycling. If you'd like to jump start the cycling process you can use Biospira. Mostly you have to order it online though. Let me know if you need any help in this area.

>>3) Which filter should I use? Is the undergravel filter ok, or the power filter, or should I use both?

Filters (for bettas) should be very slow moving. Undergravel filters are not necessary, and although they sound good in theory, they can cause a lot of problems with hidden ammonia and things of that nature. If your power filter has a speed setting on it, turn it to the lowest one and see if your betta minds it.

>>4) are plastic plants better or live? Which is easier to maintain?

Plastic is the way to go. Easy to keep "alive" and look good all the time. Live is also fine, it adds oxygen to the tank, but they require more work and sometimes the addition of chemicals, and a lot of light, which could lead to algae problems in your tank. I always use the plastic plants. They now make fake plants that look close to real. Check out liveaquaria.com if you wanted to see how real they can look.

>>5) The tank has a background on it, will the Betta like it or is it not necessary?

The betta really doesn't care. All he cares about is food and clean water. Since you have a little tank you should be removing the excess waste every day and emptying like a cup a day. However, when you get to your bigger tank you should be cleaning the tank biweekly with 10-20% water changes.

>>6) I have a very small plastic plant that is in the vase, and the tank came with another small one, if I put both in, is that enough hiding area, or should I still add a little hiding cave or more plants or something? Also, should the plants be in the same area of the tank so he has more space to swim, or is it ok to put one on either end?

I would hold off on adding more plants in the smaller vase. Wait until you get your bigger tank set up and then you can go plant wild.

>>7) I got a small bottle of Betta Safe water conditioner. Is that an ok one, and is that all I need to add to the tap water? I read about using a little aquarium salt for Bettas and using an ick and fungus preventative. What is the best way to treat the water (including the water changes)

I always use spring water in my aquariums, and rarely run into issues. Betta safe? Is that like the little bottle that says like betta water conditioner? All you need to do is follow the directions on the back of the bottle. It should be fine, but do you know what your city puts in the water? Like are their chloramines and chlorines?

Seriously I would stick with spring water. Then you know there's nothing in the water. Then you usually don't need anything else in the water at all.

>>8) Do I have to use gravel or can I use slightly bigger rocks. Or, if I don't use the undergravel filter, is it ok to use fairly big (about 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter) river rocks? I just bought two bags and I love the way they look, plus they seem way easier to clean and manage, but is it too heavy?

In your vase, I would just leave the bottom empty because it makes cleaning up easier. However, in the bigger tank, you can use whatever floats your boat. Just make sure you rinse whatever you are putting into the tank with hot tap water (of course make sure they are cool enough to put in your tank once you're done).

Just to let you know about the weight issue: a 10 gallon tank weighs like 10 pounds with just the water. Make sure your stand can hold a lot of weight.

>>9) Am I just over-thinking all of this?

I think you are anthropomorphizing your fish. He doesn't really care about the decor, only that he has a few hiding spots and room to move. Also, he does like food, but feeding once a day is just fine. They can actually survive for 5 days on just the fat stores in the liver and skin. They are very amazing little creatures, and I can see why you are so concerned with giving him everything he wants. Really all the aquarium is... is giving him what he needs and what you want.

>>10) I know you're not really supposed to use soap, but since the set up is used, should I still only use water to rinse it all?

You can use soap, but only if hot water doesn't do the trick. If you use soap on the tank be sure to rinse like 10 times and let it sun dry for 24 hours. That way you are sure you're not adding anything bad.

>>11) Oh, lol, and should I float the Betta (btw his name is Cinderella -you'll have to ask my son about that one) before he goes in his new tank?

Way to go! Did you read about that one online? Yes, you definitely want to float your little Cinderella (very cute by the way - although it is a boy betta, I'm sure he just loves his name). That's called acclimating. What you want to do is let him sit in his bag for at least 10 minutes. Then open the bag, and allow a little bit of water from your tank into the bag. Allow that to sit for 10 minutes (you will probably have to hold the bag up so it doesn't sink into the tank). Repeat step 2 at least 5-6 more times. Then, your little man should be more than happy in his new tank.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. I'd be more than happy to point you in the right direction.
-----
Phishie

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: setting up new tank - starywary, Fri Jun 20 13:47:08 2008

<< Previous Message:  setting up new tank - starywary, Thu Jun 19 06:24:35 2008