return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Dying mollies?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fish, Coral, & Aquariums ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Shosei at Fri Oct 10 17:41:08 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Shosei ]  

Hi,

I have a six-month old, 20-gallon tank, and I'm having issues with my mollies dying off at an unfortunate rate.

In a newbie mistake, I overstocked the tank at the beginning, but I was able to get it to cycle in a month or two, and ended up with four cories, three mollies (two male, one female) and a betta. The tank was fine for a few months, but now in the past month I've had all three mollies die on me.

I checked ammonia levels, and they're fine. The temperature and pH have been normal. Nitrate levels were slightly high, but not in the danger zone, after the first death, so I did a 1/4 water change, cleaned the gravel and cut down on how much I was feeding them. There is a small, almost soapy film on the surface that I can't identify, and I'm trying to get rid of.

There was no sign of disease on two of the mollies. The third obviously had dropsy, although I don't know what caused it. The two that had no symptoms were acting completely normally up until their deaths - coming up to eat when I opened the top, swimming around as normal, playing with each other.

Around the dead fish, and when I clean, there are these white tufts of something, I'm not sure what - I'm thinking it could be bacteria, but I'm not sure. I'm also wondering what would affect only the three mollies, but leave the cories and the betta alone.

Any advice? I'd like to add more fish to the tank, but I'd rather not until I can come up with a way to keep more fish from dying. I'm also wondering about aeration - I'm using a whisper in-tank filter that says that it's rated for 20-gallon tanks, but I'm not sure about it. I've also been having trouble getting ahold of new carbon filter for it - my local pet store (which sold me the thing) doesn't have them, so I've been keeping the old carbon filter in (cleaning it periodically) while using bio-bags with carbon in them for the second filter in the device.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Dying mollies? - phishie, Fri Oct 10 21:30:32 2008