return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

My New 35 Gallon Aquarium!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fish, Coral, & Aquariums ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mad_piranha at Wed Oct 15 01:03:24 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mad_piranha ]  

My girlfriend and I have set up our first aquarium together (this my second one, first for her). It has only been about 4 days since this tank was started but it’s off to a good start!

It is a 35 Gallon Hagen tank, with a custom glass lid, with a 30” Marina light fixture with a Power-Glow bulb. For filtration we are using a Penguin 330 Bio-wheel filter, and for heating we are using a Jäger 150W aquarium heater. The setup is sitting on a beautiful Geometrik stand (made here in Canada!) This tank is located in my room at the foot of my bed, and looks absolutely beautiful while sitting and reading, or doing work on my laptop.

The tank has been up and running for 4 days now, and is progressing nicely! I let the tank run for 24-48 hours before adding 3 Zebra Danios, and 3 Blue Danios to the tank to help advance the Nitrogen cycle. I am testing the tank daily with a Nutrafin Master test kit, and everything looks great! PH started at 8.0, and has now dropped to 7.8 by day four, Nitrite levels are at 0.1 at day four, the first sign of any nitrites since startup, and ammonia is at 0.0, stable since day 1. The water is moderately hard at the moment with a Carbonate Hardness of 80mg/L. I hope all my test results look normal to you guys, since based on my research it looks like it’s off to a good start to me!

The tank is only lightly decorated for now, my Girlfriend (Brittany) and I are planning on going on a few trips over the next few months and are hoping to pick up different decorations from each place we visit. So for now there is an artificial piece of Coral, along with some beautiful red Lava Rock, and various artificial plants. We will also be going to pick out our first few fish in about 3-4 weeks from now, most likely a few matured Gouramis, and eventually a handful of Clown Loaches as well as an algae eater, and possibly some sort of crab to add a little variety.

Please let me know what you think!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Digital water testers? - ltkettch17, Tue Oct 21 20:16:27 2008
<< Previous topic:  Wounded Pleco - rczop, Sat Oct 11 08:38:05 2008