return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Guppy beginning breeder question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fish, Coral, & Aquariums ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cgswss at Sat Jan 22 06:52:11 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cgswss ]  

You no doubt already know this, but I'll post it anyway. Guppies retain sperm. If you are trying to create a line, throw out the first drop as it will most likely not be pure to your male. I have the many tanks, so any time I get a new female, I keep her away from ALL males for 2 to 3 months. When you get a female from a breeder, she is supposed to be a virgin. I have have NEVER found this to be the case. For years I thought guppies where born pregnant. If you have the time to do it right, keep that new female away for any males for two mouths AFTER she has her last drop.

Now I know you can't do this with yours as they have already had exposure, so I would recommend you discard the first drop. Give her half a day to recover, then breed her with your male right away. I used to try to give my females a rest between drops, but it seems that if they don't hook up with a new male in the first 48 hours or so, they will used their stored sperm to start another batch. It took me a long time to figure this out, and frankly I can't say the timing is exact, but I'm hoping this will help you avoid many cases where you don't seem to get a pure drop.

Separate and cull your batches as soon as possible. I normally make sure the females are all separated in less then 30 days

I highly suggest you look into first foods to feed your fish. I used to hatch brine shrimp and grow micro worms. I don't bother anymore. I feed very finely crushed flake food, paste made from hard boiled egg yoke, a comerical food called “First Bites” and a product from Ocean Nutrition called “Instant Baby Brine Shrimp”. I feed fry a very small amount of food but feed them every hour for the time I'm awake

To do it right, your going to need a LOT of tanks (and dividers for those tanks) ans you have to keep very accurate records so that once you get what you want, you know how to keep it.

Hope this helps you

Craig

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Guppy beginning breeder question - phishie, Sun Dec 6 14:44:58 2009