return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: crayfish cannibalism

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fish, Coral, & Aquariums ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: crocacutus at Fri Jul 2 19:18:04 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by crocacutus ]  

Thanks, phishie.

What I've found with my two is very odd. The larger one seems to have earned the cave as his territory, but when the small crayfish enters and the larger one isn't inside, the larger one doesn't return. Never are the two in the cave together, but encounters do not appear aggressive. When the cave and plastic plant are removed, leaving a bare cage, the two quickly move to opposite corners or sides.

The crayfish seem to have equal fear of each other, even though one is the larger. It's almost as if the larger one can smell that another crayfish is nearby, but has no way of knowing that the other one could be potential prey. The paper of course indicates that cannibalism is common, so perhaps the fact that these crayfish are never forced to contact each other is why there have been no incidents. At night (foraging time) they never leave their usual hides, so perhaps cannibalism is brought on only in high density populations.

I keep the crayfish fed with earthworms, but I don't let them gorge themselves. Since I have no experience in aquarium maintenance, I just keep them in a plastic tub with a few inches of water, which I change every day or so. They're fascinating creatures to observe, if you ever get the opportunity to keep one.

Thanks a bunch for the help, phishie. I looked at past postings and you seem to be answering more of the questions. I can't help because I have no aquarium experience but I know some people who are into this subject. Would you like me to enlist them?

crocacutus

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: crayfish cannibalism - phishie, Sun Jul 4 10:50:38 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: crayfish cannibalism - phishie, Wed Jun 30 17:07:06 2010