return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Fishless Cycling Stalled

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fish, Coral, & Aquariums ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: genfishie at Tue Feb 22 06:02:24 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by genfishie ]  

Ok, I haven't added Prime for about 36 hours, and the bottle says it's dissipated by that time. Last night, my readings were this: ammonia: 0.5, ph 7.4, nitrites 5.0 , nitrates 80-100. I added 1ml of ammonia to feed the colonies.
This morning, here are my readings: ammonia 1.5-2.0, ph 7.6,
nitrites 5.0 and nitrates 160 . It seems that my bacteria is ok for now. I'll lay off the Prime for now, but I don't think it killed anything off. The thing is that my ammonia is not going back to zero for the last three weeks. This started after I added additional decorations to get the tank ready for fish. Before that, the ammonia was zeroing out within 12-18 hours. I can understand that I disrupted the tank with the new additions, but I washed them beforehand as directed and you would think any problems with that would have resolved by now. I was reading that sometimes it takes a month for nitrites to go down, so maybe I just need to keep waiting. Also, is it bad to put your hands in the tank? I've done that a few times to adjust decorations and I read somewhere that the water chemistry can change as a result.
You're the best with all your great advice!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  14 gallon FW tank stocking - genfishie, Sat Feb 19 08:41:49 2011
<< Previous topic:  Help with a fish less cycle - fishntom, Tue Dec 21 11:58:37 2010