return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Help for a crab noob (is one ok?)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fish, Coral, & Aquariums ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHStorme at Wed Jun 11 09:05:23 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHStorme ]  

First off, welcome to the board! It's great to have new faces around. Hermit Crabs are definatly interesting pets, and I hope that you enjoy yours

1. Will he be ok in a critter carrier for the next 6 days?

As long as the crab has some exercise, s/he should be fine in a critter keeper temporarily.

2. Hermit crabs are definatly very social animals.. Is your crab missing the small claw, or the large claw? If it's missing the small claw, adding another crab should be okay. If he's missing the large claw, as social as they are, I personally would wait until the crab molts and the claw regrows.

3. Could yall tell me a little about what I will need when setting up my crabitat to best suit the needs of my crab.

You're going to need some kind of substrate that can be burrowed into. I've always used playsand or calci-sand. They sell sand specifically "for hermit crabs" but honestly, those aren't necessary. It's a marketing ploy basically.

You're going to need:
*hermit crab food
*water dishes/food bowls,
*chlorine remover that you'd use for a fishtank, to remove chlorine from the water your hermit drinks,
*a product called Instant Ocean is highly reccomended. Hermit crabs need access to fresh water, and salt water.
*sea sponges to help keep humidity in the tank, and it also helps them get in and out of the water bowls if they're too deep.
*extra shells for the crab to change into,
*a humidity gague/thermostat to monitor your heat/humidity levels (should be approx 70-75 degrees, and 70-80% humidity)
*possibly an undertank heater, if your temperature doesn't get warm enough
*toys for climbing - cholla wood, driftwood, coral, plasic plants etc.

4. The people at the pet store called him a tree climber does anyone know anything about that species?

I believe that some people consider the purple pincher crabs to be "tree climbers". Hope this helps
-----
PHStorme

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Help for a crab noob (is one ok?) - vidgamencrabfan, Mon Jun 9 22:50:16 2008