return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: BTA help!!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fish, Coral, & Aquariums ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: phishie at Wed Jul 15 20:13:27 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by phishie ]  

The fact that it is not eating is not a good sign of it recovering. When is that last time it ate? Anemones losing their zooxanthellae is a common problem among newbies (so I've read). This can be from a few factors (and I'm quoting the internet): lack of light, poor water quality, or the wrong color light spectrum. When it starts to shrink, it is because it is losing nutrients and oxygen that are supplied by the zooxanthellae. If this happens, the anemone can lose strength and float about the aquarium, and will probably die soon afterwards.

That being said, I don't know these things from experience, but I wanted you to get an answer quickly. I researched your specific anemone. The care level for this species is moderate to difficult, so you being a beginner I probably wouldn't recommend this species for you at the moment. However, you've already purchased it so I will tell you what I think the problem is, and how you should fix it. It could be because it is in an aquarium that is too small. The minimum tank size for the BTA is 30 gallons on both live aquaria and fish lore (both reputable sites).

I guess your lights provide high lighting? I do not have a saltwater aquarium, however, I do know how aquatic animals physically function. So if the light is not what it needs, it will feel like it has to release the zooxanthellae so they don't both die.

It is puffing, and that is normal for anemones since they need water for their cells and normal functions. Your water quality is near perfect for your anemone. The temperature should be a little cooler though (around 75-79 degrees F). What is your specific gravity and water circulation? Do you have a protein skimmer and activated carbon filtration?

My diagnosis is either not enough lighting or the wrong spectrum of lighting.
-----
Phishie
Site Coordinator

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: BTA help!!! - jsero00, Wed Jul 15 22:02:50 2009

<< Previous Message:  BTA help!!! - jsero00, Wed Jul 15 15:43:35 2009