return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Cockatiel handling...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PtsRPpl2 at Fri Sep 19 08:36:26 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PtsRPpl2 ]  

PHIggysbirds, you seem to know a LOT about cockatiels (or if anyone else has suggestions, also??, so...

My female pearl (believe it is female b/c she is rather quiet most times and doesn't whistle at all) is almost 7 months (have had her for 3). She was nearly impossible when I first got her...took her a month before she would step direct to my finger instead of from her dowel to my finger. She will eat millet spray from my hand but nothing else. I just got her to start eating some pellets, although she still prefers her seed mix! Anyway, my point is she HAS come a long way since I first got her. She takes showers with me (sometimes she LOVES, sometimes she'd rather not!) and she'll sit on my shoulder, finger, or her gyms. She seems to really like to be near me all the time (even chirps loudly, calling to me, if I'm not in the room). BUT she will not, absolutely, no way at all, let me touch her or scritch her or anything! I miss my senegal and other tiel, both of which absolutely loved to cuddle and get scritches.

Any idea on how to get her to like cuddles and scritches? Or should I just accept the fact that she may never like to be touched and handled that way? Would appreciate any advice! Thanks!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Cockatiel handling... - PtsRPpl2, Fri Sep 19 08:37:44 2008