return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: mini macaws

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHIggysbirds at Tue Apr 29 22:33:59 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHIggysbirds ]  

Well it looks like I will start out on each of your threads and hopefully others will join in, LOL!

Mini macaws. There are severa different types and although you can group them as a whole they can have different personalities. Even ones of the same species can act completely different. Personally we have a little Hahns macaw named Gomez. We have worked with others through the rescue but Gomez actually lives with us 24/7. He can be a little clown. He likes to try to get his own way and has a large personality for a little guy. I would say he is more of my husband's bird. We had adopted him from a man and for some reason he seems to not like anyone with hair longer than a short man's cut. I have almost shoulder lenght hair and he didn't want near me in the beginning. He now will tolerate me. I do work with him daily and he doesn't bite me (although there have been a few close calls). But if given the choice if my husband is in the room or even anyone with short hair male or female he will go right to them. My sister-in-law has short hair and he goes right to her, my brother-in-law has longer hair and he won't go near him so it is something with the hair.

He will play with all kinds of toys. He likes to destroy some of the wood toys but isn't as desctructive as many of the others. He utilizes the entire space of his cage, so the bigger the cage the better. He isn't picky on food and although his base food is pellets he loves veggies, pasta, fruit and about anything else we give him. He does speak a few words. Two words are very clear (Hello, and Pretty) several others are understandable if listened to closely. He is around 6 years old so there is the potential for him to learn more or then again he may not. He is starting to learn a few tricks with balls and ropes and seems to like to have something to do.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  mini macaws - banjobert, Tue Apr 29 19:31:02 2008