return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: the smallest cockatoo

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHIggysbirds at Mon May 12 15:21:27 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHIggysbirds ]  

I really can't help much on the dog issue. We had a little terrier mix dog that was wonderful with our african grey, he would come when Lewy whistled for him and beg for a treat from Lewy (he loved bird food) but he was an older dog and passed away. We do not have any other dogs and don't plan to get any so I don't have any other personal experience with birds and dogs in the same house.

As far as which bird would be best in a home where it will be alone a lot it will really depend. My first thought would be more along the lines of a green cheek conure which you had asked about in another post I believe (I could be wrong ) Out of the ones you mentioned here I would probably say the pionus or possibly the mini macaw. Our goffins is a sweetie but when she gets left alone for too long she starts to shred her tail feathers. This may partially be because I am home most of the time so she is not used to me being gone for most of a day or a weekend and will then shred the tail feathers. Our eclectus does the same. She is bonded with my husband and if he does not spend time with her for long enough during the day (she decides how long then she will pluck more feathers. We have never had a mini macaw pluck although some people have and I have only seen one pionus that plucked (again I am sure others have seen more) but anyway they were both due to health issues not boredom or loneliness.

As far as noise, our eclectus lets out a scream when she gets up and will call for about 10 minutes or so after that, the rest of the daylight time she does talking, animal noises etc. Then at around 7-8 when it is starting to get dusk she will again call and scream for around 15-20 minutes. None of our birds scream after lights out except on the rare occassions one will have night terrors (we usually have night lights so never pitch black but still dark). Our goffins does not really have a set time of day she will just decide she is not getting her deserved attention and scream, this doesn't happen very often because we work with her a lot and we don't reward the screams so it is a seldom occurance. We have had other birds in that will scream for an hour or longer in the morning and evening. A lot will depend on the individual bird and how its calls and screams are rewarded or ignored.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: the smallest cockatoo - banjobert, Sat May 3 13:12:06 2008