return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: bully parakeet

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tinasmith at Fri Mar 27 07:20:41 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tinasmith ]  

Thank you for your quick response. The older one is not aggressively kicking the smaller one off the feeder, she just walks over to it and as she gets closer the little one seems to get scared and flies off. They seem to ignore each other more than anything and they are both very quiet.
Maybe it was my stupidity but I did not quarantine them because they were in the same cage together prior to me getting him and it was only a weeks time before picking up the baby. Like I said my stupidity.
Its just very sad because the little one wants to cozy up to the big one but she doesn't want anything to do with it. I can separate them but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a pair?
If the feeding issue does not resolve I may have to bring the big one back, get a younger one, keep it in a spare cage for quarantine.
I'm also very nervous about breeding. I've had parakeets when I was younger and never had an issue with them breeding but I may have also lucked out and gotten two of the same sex. I've owned finches in the past and they just bred like bunnies (not something I want to go through again)
I am not someone who just returns animals at the drop of a dime but I want whats best for these two and I feel two separate cages defeats the purpose of having two budgies bonding. Ugh, I don't know what to do. Can you tell me how long it can take for two budgies to accept each other if they do decide to be friends.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereRE: bully parakeet - tinasmith, Fri Mar 27 07:20:41 2009

>> Next topic:  Is this baby a male or female - tinasmith, Fri Mar 27 12:02:56 2009
<< Previous topic:  bully parakeet - tinasmith, Thu Mar 26 21:53:47 2009