return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Behavioral Problem

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHIggysbirds at Tue Jun 9 22:35:35 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHIggysbirds ]  

This is a hard one. Usually people are able to "remove" the item that is causing the distraction and go on with the training or spending time together but I can see in your place where that would be quite impossible. I wouldn't suggest the placing back in the cage method on this topic as she isn't going to really learn that it is the glasses getting her into trouble. I am going to say in my opinion that the targeting or distraction method is going to be the best bet but will take a while to get her to to learn this. Try finding a toy that she is really interested in. When she starts to go for the glasses use the toy as a distraction if she goes for the toy give her a treat/praise etc. Keep trying this until she learns that the toy earns a treat, glasses earn nothing.

Also I would suggest making sure not to allow her on your shoulder or chest area until she is completely comfortable with your glasses and shows no interest in them (at that time it is up to you, some say never to shoulder a bird but I do with many after they have earned my trust and in a controlled setting). If she is on your hand and gives a lunge for the glasses you can try one of two things, either lightly quake your hand, not enough to make her fall just enough to make her straighten herself for balance. Then she is not really being punished but is distracted from the glasses. The other thing to try would be to when she goes for the glasses take your hand not holding her, gently grasp her upper beak and speak to her. It doesn't necessarily have to be a harsh voice or a "NO" just a verbal cue and the release her beak. Some even use this time to give a quick kiss on the head

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Behavioral Problem - ladyamalara, Tue Jun 9 22:40:55 2009

<< Previous Message:  Behavioral Problem - ladyamalara, Tue Jun 9 21:03:53 2009