return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Petco's response

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jackskeets at Mon Sep 14 08:08:17 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jackskeets ]  

This is such a sad story I used to shop at Petco a lot, then one day I was looking for a lizard. I went back to the little octagon "terrarium" where they had Gecko, chameleon, and some other funky looking lizards, and SNAKES! There had to have been 50 snakes in the same cage as all these lizards! What's one of the snakes favorite foods? You guessed it, Lizards! Looking around the cage i saw this sad skinny brown as the dirt lizard, looked like a sick iguana, but it wasn't, it was a Chinese water dragon, also known as the GREEN water dragon! I had one of the workers take him out and she was just mean ripping him off his perch, where he was obviously fearing for his life, and sort of tossed him into my arms. (I'm pretty sure she was afraid of him)
I complained about the snakes in with the lizards, explaining the natural fear of snakes, and the fact that there were lizards from all different climates being kept in the same cage. I bought the poor dragon, took him home and got him all fat and green like he was supposed to be, and fed him small mice and fish and things, even though they told me he only need 8-12 crickets a day! I went back after he died,(months after I bought him) and they hadn't changed a thing! I complained again, and got the response "they all seem to do fine together". Poor George didn't do so fine, and he later died on his top perch and fell dead to the cage floor I only had him a few months, but was so glad to have made him feel happier and safe for his last few months.

That was the day I boycotted Petco. I still go to PetSmart, still a conglomerate, but the one by me is clean, and so are the cages. And they seperate all lizards by species!

I'm sorry you had to see this same lack of care for animals that Petco has, but I'm glad at least you were there to help him out at the end. And this is how they treat a "rare" keet?!
-----
Dianne,
Mom to a 12 yr old human girl (still in obedience training!)
A 1 year old Aussie/Border Collie mix "Jack"
A 9 year old gray short-hair Korat-looking kitty "Timothy"
A 9 year old black 'n' white short hair kitty "Trouble"
4 parakeets "Salty" m 3yrs,"Skye" f 2.5 yrs, "Sea" f approx 1yr, "Pepper" m approx 1yr.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereRE: Petco's response - jackskeets, Mon Sep 14 08:08:17 2009

>> Next topic:  Help for nearsighted parakeet - luv2offroad2, Thu Jul 23 09:31:11 2009
<< Previous topic:  The life and death of Buck - Rouen, Tue Jul 21 19:12:08 2009