return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Bird Safe Paint ???

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHIggysbirds at Wed Mar 31 23:40:55 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHIggysbirds ]  

The only type of paint that I know of that is even somewhat safe it I believe a Krylon type used in childrens rooms and on baby furniture, it is water based and supposed to be low VOS and low chemical. Even with that type of paint it is not suggested to be in an area it will be chewed on. We tried repainting a cage with it and it will scratch off and does not leave a very stable surface. The only other way I know to paint a cage is to see if you have any company nearby that can do a powder type painting. With the powder paint it is baked into the metal of the cage making it almost impossible to scratch off or ingest (notice I said almost)

I know you said your bird would leave it's new cage but could you possibly try removing the old cage completely from the house, placing it outside or in a garage where it is completely unavailable to your amazon and offering favorite treats (hopefully something you don't often offer), and toys only in the new cage for 1-2 weeks to see if your feathered friend gets used to it. If he does not have access to the old cage and is getting "nice" things in his new cage he will get used to it a lot quicker. Many birds don't like changes but will learn to accept them and go on if presented with the change in a favorable/fun manner

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Bird Safe Paint ??? - okreptilerescue, Thu Mar 25 23:08:02 2010 *HOT TOPIC*