return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Double yellow head amazon baby

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bird Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHIggysbirds at Wed Dec 1 14:09:33 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHIggysbirds ]  

It sounds like you have a new sweetie As far as suggestions, well DYHs are considered one of the "hot" three in amazons or even in most any birds. Once they hit maturity they have a tendency to want to test their boundaries even more than other birds and want to "try" to exert their dominance over you. As long as you are consistent in attention, rewards for good behavior, ignoring bad you should do fine.

I know it will be very tempting to spend lots of time with your baby before you go back to work but try not to get her used to you being their constantly if that is not something you can always do. I always try to keep play schedules a bit "mixed up". In other words we do not have playtime every day from 1-3pm instead if at all possible I try to keep plenty of playtime but may one day have playtime from 10am-2pm, maybe the next day from 1pm-3pm, the next day from 2pm-6pm that way your bird gets used to having playtime and a lot of it but not always expecting the exact same schedule every day, that way if you ever have to be somewhere else or work hours switch it won't cause problems with your bird because believe me if you have a consistent schedule your bird will learn it. We have many birds in the rescue and at home but one in particular was on a set schedule in her old home.

DJ the U2 here at the rescue was uncovered at 7:30am and now every day at 7:30 if she is not uncovered she screams loudly until she is. She had a fresh veggie and fruit salad at exactly 11 am if she does not have it she will say DJ eat 2-3 times if it is not there by the 3rd time she screams, she has the same schedule at supper. How she tells time I am not certain but her "inner" clock must be pretty much set with real time because her hollers are always on time We still uncover her at "close" to the same time. Every bird in the rescue gets birdie salad for dinner between 11-12 but not exactly on her schedule (the same with supper) and she is slowly starting to learn that she still gets what she wants but may have to wait a while. So for this reason I say it is great to have a "loose schedule but try not to get so set on exact playtimes or food times that she is upset if you can't keep to this schedule for some reason. Even if most of the time you can keep the same schedule for her try to mix it up a bit at least part of the time it will really help her be more adaptable.

Toys are great, make sure you have plenty of foot toys besides hanging toys they learn to love playing with their feet. When you do have to be away at work try to keep some kind of television or radio on for "interaction" Our birds love cartoons and music LOL!

If you have any questions let me know and I would love to see pics. I will try to get out a few of our variety of amazons

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Baby double headed amazon pic - gtk4158a, Thu Dec 2 16:43:24 2010
<< Previous topic:  senegal parrot question please help? - ballfreak, Sat Oct 30 13:19:18 2010