return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: An Old Horse

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horses & Farm Animals ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PH Cody at Sat Oct 2 14:36:02 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PH Cody ]  

>>Hi,
>>My neighbor gave me a 28 year old sorrel mare quarter/arab mix horse.She is a sway back and underweight...I want to get her back in shape..What should I feed her??
>>Please help and will I be able to ride her??I rode her today and she was fine she took off running with me :P
>>~Kara~

Wow - that's a good age on a horse! I'd suggest finding a good senior feed, my favorite would be Purina's Senior but there are others that are plenty good out there. Plenty of hay if she can eat it, and if she can't you need to find a good roughage that she can eat like Denghi (?) which is chopped hay. It's not as good as the real stuff but its better than nothing. Also, have a vet out for a physical, and specifically for having her teeth checked. Bad teeth are the number one reason for weight loss in any age horse, but more so in older horses.

You'll also want to keep a close eye on her this winter. Older horses have a harder time staying warm than young, plump ones! Their metabolism isn't what it used to be and the fact that she's starting out underweight doesn't help. She might need a turn out rug for the colder days.

Good luck with her! And pat yourself on the back for making sure the ol' girl has a good place to call home here at the twilight of her life
-----
PH Cody
HorseHobbyist Site Coordinator

App Chat is back in Action!! Join PH Appies on Tuesday nights from 9-11 EST in The Paddock for some Spotted Fun!

And don't forget our Saturday Night Barn Party from 9-11 also! PHRitters is always ready to party

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: An Old Horse - ReptileGurl08, Sun Oct 3 17:47:07 2004

<< Previous Message:  An Old Horse - ReptileGurl08, Wed Sep 29 21:56:36 2004