return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Weird eating habits

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horses & Farm Animals ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Dorla at Tue Oct 26 01:11:21 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Dorla ]  

I had to talk to my vet today to make an appointment to have some of our colts gelded and your anteater has really been on my mind and in many of my conversations since reading your post. So I ask him if he had ever heard of anything like that.
Oddly enough , he didn't find it unusual at all!
He said ants are quite tasty! Hmmm.
Alot of horses eat dirt for minerals they might be lacking. Alot of horses like clay. The soil around anthills is loose and may attract the horse to soil graze. Ants are full of protein. (and don't forget scrumptious!)
As long as the horse isn't eating fire ants that bite and leave blisters to get infected,or cause an allergic or hypersensitive reaction to their bites, your main concern would be his soil intake possibly causing sand colic. Which is quite serious and can be life threatening!!
He suggested getting a mineral block for horses, not a cattle block, that contains selenium {sp?}. We have the blonde blocks that have minerals and selenium in them out for the horses at all times. Especially good for the Brood mares! And my dirt eaters quit munching mudpies. The horses only eat what they need. The soil in the eastern 1/2 of the U.S. and most parts of Canada is selenium deficient and doesn't pass enough of the mineral to the plants/forage to sustain the amount that a horse needs in its diet. If you are using a selenium mineral saltblock for horses... maybe adding some alfalfa (hay or pellets )small amounts at first!! to the anteater's diet may make a difference for added protein. or just go the next step up on the protein % if you feed grain regularly. It could be the protein that attracts the horse to eat ants. Or a combination of all the above.
The thing with that is that you don't want too much protein in the diet either....How old is the horse and what type of work or activity load does it have ?? That can make a big difference in how much protein should be in their diet.
And keep in mind that it could be that the horse just likes the taste of ants ........ Kinda like kids eating paste in school. Yuk. No real dietary issues, just taste.
Just thought I'd pass his remarks on. Oh! He did say no choclate covered ants tho. Guess chocolate really isn't good for most animals, horses included........
An anteater..... gives me a chuckle every time I think about it !

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Weird eating habits - botchlatear, Tue Oct 26 17:41:51 2004

<< Previous Message:  RE: Weird eating habits - botchlatear, Mon Oct 25 11:11:51 2004