return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Got a mare! Love at first sight... a new problem arises (help)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horses & Farm Animals ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ElusiveKimmaby at Sun Oct 31 22:26:43 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ElusiveKimmaby ]  

We found our gal. Her name is Lacy and she's as sweet as can be. You should have seen Pistol when he first laid eyes on her. I walked him out of the barn and she was a good 200 yards away. His eyes widened, his ears went straight forward, his head raised straight up, and he PRANCED the whole way up to her. You think show horses have it down to a fine art? You should've seen what this guy was up to!!! Love at first sight I SWEAR it! I turned him loose so he could check her out, he sniffed her face, he sniffed her flank, and of course he sniffed her butt. He sniffed her flank some more so she swatted him with her tail and it scared him, but soon he stopped sniffing and started eating grass and she joined him. They LOVE each other! We turn them loose in the field and just let them wander the property. They became inseperable the first day... well sort of. She doesn't mind going off by herself at all, but I tried to leave him in his stall to go ride her and my GOD did that make him mad!!! If I had left him in there he would've either torn the barn down or hurt himself. So I let him loose while I rode around and they did great. He of course had to eat and run along with us, and sometimes just followed behind her like a puppy, and other times he ate a spot until we passed by him and got a certain distance away, then he'd run over to us, bucking and kicking and showing off, just to slow down about 30 feet away and graze again until he decided it was time to catch up. He got so excited at one point that he couldn't help but start rolling. And Lacy handled this BEAUTIFULLY! She didn't even flinch when he charged by us or got very close (sniffing again). The most she did was talk to him when he decided us silly girls weren't intersting anymore, and grazing was more fun, so we got really far away and he couldn't see us because the barn was in the way so he called to her, she called back, and he came a'galloping!

They're a funny little couple. They were both the pushovers of their herds. He was a pushover because he's a little 14.2 baby and he was always with bigger horses who pushed him around. She's a 15.1 150 lbs underweight gal and we figured out why. She eats veeeery slow, and she was kept in the pasture, so obviously everyone was coming over and eating her food up. Not to mention the grass quality was not what you would call wonderful. I hate it when people don't take care of their paddocks!!! Horses aren't pigs, they don't live in mud lots! Mmph! Anyhow, as I was saying, it's funny because he's trying to be the boss, and being a bit of a snot about it. He's tried to take grass out of her mouth, and at one point she neighed and kicked in the air to make him stop, which scared the crap out of him and it worked. He also tried to push her head out of the water trough, and when he realized he couldn't, he tried to bite the trough and pull it away! Needless to say that didn't work... And he also pushed his way into her stall when i wasn't looking and tried to take her food, again she neighed and kicked which again scared him. She's so funny, she obviously likes him. They run around together and don't get more than maybe 15 feet apart when grazing and that's rare. It's usually more like maybe 1-5 feet apart. He wants to be big boss man, but she doesn't even notice him if I lead him away. She just goes about her business ever so relaxed. However, if I lead her away, he comes following like a puppy!

Ahhh, horsies. My only problem now is that Pistol has decided he's going to be a little snotball, and has decided to act even more jumpy than usual! I don't know what to do with him. Now that we have found the love of his life, how am I supposed to go do ANYTHING with her without making him nearly KILL HIMSELF? As I said, she goes right along with me without a care in the world, just as sweet and serene as can be. He, on the other, neighs, kicks, bucks, rolls, screams, shakes his head, rears, absolute panic attack. What am I gonna do? I didn't trot or canter her because I didn't want Pistol getting too excited and trying to run with us and getting me into something I didn't wanna be in (like a race for those trees over there! WEE!) I also don't want to leave him locked up because he gets soooooooooooo upset! Talk about seperation anxiety!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: a new problem arises (help) - PH Cody, Mon Nov 8 08:44:26 2004

<< Previous Message:  RE: Getting a second horse, but what should I get? Mare or Gelding? - PH Cody, Thu Oct 28 09:23:59 2004