return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Yike - Well, I think we've learned his problem... thinks he's a stallion

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horses & Farm Animals ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ElusiveKimmaby at Sat Nov 20 22:54:02 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ElusiveKimmaby ]  

Well, I haven't used it on him again since that day. I think we've figured out his problem. And I only tried to quietex because I was trying to calm him down so that it wouldn't be such a shock when I got back on. I guess the reverse effect took place instead.
Today was quite an adventure. All 3 of them got loose while I was in Charlottesville and Dad found them outside. He tried to get them to come to him, and Lacy (the mare) almost did, but Pistol (the jerk) basically said no in horse language, and convinced her to walk off with him instead. Apparently he is the leader and just lets her have her way sometimes. Anyway, this happened around 8 AM and they got lost in the woods until (thanks to our very helpful wonderful fantastic neighbors) they were found waaaaaaay back in the woods in an old field they keep cut down. Oddly enough, Pistol came right to me and let us lead them all out of there. Man that was a pain. But I think we realized he thinks he's a stallion.
He used to be fine when his only herd was of people, when horses came onto the scene it was Mr. Bossman. He also sniffs Lacy's urine, geldings don't bother, at least I haven't noticed any that did.
I suspect that maybe he was gelded late, and we're dealing with those problems. We're thinking of simply selling him to our friend who happens to be an old barrel racer. He loves this horse, and he has no other horses, and he'd love to have a horse. Well, why not? He's a fantastic horse without other horses around, and Johnny knows how to ride great, and I bet anything he could get him under control. We're thinking of either sending this horse to something like a horsey boot camp, or giving him to Johnny for a few weeks to give him a chance to calm him down, and if he likes him he can have him for what we paid for him, if not he can give him back and we'll figure something else up.
So... any suggestions on what to do NOW, or at least FOR now? Sheesh... what a handful

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Only one problem - no enclosed area! - PH Cody, Fri Nov 19 15:12:35 2004